|Stuffed Mushroom Slappetizer|
|November 20, 2007|
Make your own holiday slappetizers and impress all your friends. Right after you slap each and every one of them. It will be legen-(wait for it)-dary.
If you have no idea what the hell I'm babbling about, it's your own fault and clearly because you haven't been watching How I Met Your Mother, which is one of the most awesome shows that ever awesomed under the bright blue sky.
10 ounces Baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced shallot
3 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
5 ounces chèvre
1. Preheat oven to 350° and remove the mushroom stems. Finely chop enough stems to measure 1/3 cup and set aside.
2. Over medium heat, warm the olive oil in a large skillet and cook the shallot until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushroom stems and sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add the wine, raise the heat to medium-high and allow the liquid to evaporate, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from heat and add the lemon zest and nutmeg. Let the mixture cool for about 4 minutes.
3. Add the bread crumbs and chèvre and stir until uniform. Fill the mushroom caps with the stuffing mixture, allowing the stuffing to peak about 1/2-inch.
4. Set all the mushrooms in a glass baking dish or a foil-lined cookie sheet (dull side up). Bake the mushrooms for about 15 minutes, or until the stuffing turns golden.
5. Let cool slightly and serve warm.
Drinking Notes: You can serve with Cabernet Slappignon or Slappignon Blanc, however the recapper's choice is Slapinot Noir.